Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Phrasal Verb: GET

to get along (well) with s.o. - to have a good relationship with s.o.
"I get along so well with her. We have so many things in common."
"She fights a lot with her brother. They usually don't get along."

To get over s.t./s.o.- to recover from/overcome s.t./ s.o.
 -to become well again after an illness: (s.t.)
"I caught a cold last week but I just got over it."

-to successfully deal with a problem or difficulty: (s.t.)
"I finally got over my fear of heights"
"I got over my grudge and started talking to my sister again."

 -to recover from a breakup (s.o)
"It took her a month to get over her ex-boyfriend."

To get together with s.o.
1- if people get together, they meet in order to spend time/hang out with each other:
 "What time do you want to get together on Saturday?"
"Tomorrow, I'm getting together with some friends from high school."

2-if two people get together, they start a romantic relationship
"Brad and Angelina got together in 2005."
"They are meant for each other. They will definitely get together soon."

to get back together with s.o.- to start a relationship with s.o again after breaking up
"They broke up a few months ago, but they just got back together."

to get back to s.o.- to talk to s.o. at a later time in order to answer a question or give information
"What are you doing tomorrow? Want to watch a movie?
" I don't know yet. I might go out with Rachel. Can I get back to you tomorrow."

to get back to s.t./ doing s.t. - to return to doing s.t.
"Let's get back to work!'
"OK, after the break, we have to get back to studying."
"I woke up at 5am and I couldn't get back to sleep."

to get away with doing s.t-  to not be caught or punished when you have done something wrong
 "My mom is super strict. she never lets us get away with anything."
"The students got away with cheating on the exam."
"The criminals got away with robbing the bank"

2 comments: