Monday, June 11, 2012

Phrasal Verb: GIVE

to give up- to stop trying to do s.t.
"I give up! I'm never going to find my keys. They are lost forever."
"I give up, it's way too difficult. What's the answer?"

to give s.t. up- to stop doing s.t., especially s.t. you did regularly
"I'm trying to give up smoking."
"Sue decided to give up playing tennis and focus on volleyball."

to give s.t./s.o up- to give s.t. of yours to s.o else.
"She decided that it was best to give up the baby for adoption."
"When you're on the bus, you should give up your seat to seniors."

to give up on s.o -- to stop hoping s.t/s.o will change
"She gave up on her brother. She realized that he would always stay the same and never quit his bad habits."
"The doctors gave up on the patient as he had been in a coma for more than 6 months."


to give s.t. away-
1- to give s.t. to s.o that you don't need/want 
"I gave away all my books and furniture when I moved."
"She's going to give away her clothes to charity" 



2- to give to s.o without asking for money 
"Starbucks is giving away free coffee today. Go get some!"


to give s.o away- formal permission given from a father to a man to marry his daughter at a traditional wedding ceremony.
"When her father gave her away on her wedding day, she couldn't stop crying."


to give s.t. back -to return s.t. to its owner
"Give me back my pen!"

to give in: to finally agree/accept s.t. that you were at first opposed to, especially after being forced or persuaded
"My mom nagged me so much that I finally gave in."

No comments:

Post a Comment