Monday, June 4, 2012

Phrasal Verb: TURN

to turn s.t. on:  to make a machine or piece of electrical equipment such as a television, engine, light etc start operating by pushing a button, turning a key etc [= switch on; ≠ turn off]

"Turn on the lights! I can't see."
"My computer won't turn on. I need to get it fixed."  


to turn s.t. off: to make a machine or piece of electrical equipment such as a television, engine, light etc stop operating by pushing a button, turning a key etc [= switch off; ≠ turn on]:
"Could you turn the TV off? I'm going to bed."
"I usually turn off the tap when I brush my teeth."  

to turn s.t. up: INCREASE-  to turn a switch on a machine such as an oven, radio etc so that it produces more heat, sound etc [≠ turn down]
"Turn the music up! This is a party!" 
"If you want the cake to bake faster, just turn the oven up 50 degrees."






to turn s.t. down: DECREASE- to turn a switch on a machine such as an oven, radio etc so that it produces less heat, sound etc [≠ turn up]:
"Turn it down! It's way too loud."
"Can you turn the heat down, it's super hot."

to turn s.o. off:  to make someone decide they do not like something:
"The smell of the food really turns me off"
"What turns you off about living in Vancouver?"

to turn s.t./ s.o down: to reject/refuse
"I asked her out, but she turned me down."
" I offered to help her, but I got turned down."
"She turned the job offer down."

to turn to s.o: to try to get help/advice/sympathy from s.o.
"When I have girl trouble, I turn to my older brother."
"I don't know who to turn to with my problems."
"He is a friend who I can always turn to."

CHRISTINA AGUILERA- I TURN TO YOU (2000)

For a shield, from the storm for a friend, for a love
To keep me safe and warm, I turn to you
For the strength to be strong, for the will to carry on
For everything you do, for everything that's true, I turn to you









to turn to s.t. to start doing something new, especially as a way to solve a problem
"Many people are turning to solar power and eco-friendly products."
"After his wife's death, he turned to drinking."
"Because of problems at home, he turned to crime."

to turn into s.t./s.o
1. to become s.t. different
 "The sofa turns into a bed."
"The winter turned into spring."

2. to transform/change by magic.
 "The curse turned the prince into a frog."
"Cinderella turned into a princess." 
"When Dr. Bruce Banner gets angry, he turns into The Incredible Hulk."

to turn up (intransitive)

1. to arrive at a place, especially in an unexpected way.
 "We waited for her for an hour and she finally turned up."
"He always turns up late for appointments and meetings." 

2. to be found, especially by chance after it has been lost
" I"ve lost my keys again!"  " I'm sure they will turn up somewhere."

to turn s.t in- to hand s.t. in (to give to an authority figure)
"Please turn in your homework before you leave."

to turn s.o in- to report to the police who the criminal is or where he/she is
"Sam's wife couldn't take the guilt anymore and she finally turned her husband in." 

4 comments:

  1. Hi vicent.!
    Today I have learned so many phrasal verb.
    But it's ok.
    Because I like to memorize phrasal verb.
    I wiil memorize every phrasal verb.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha ok good luck! Don't try to do it all in one day. "Rome wasn't built in one day."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Vincent!

    Now I am learning with your classes in Brazil...hahahaha

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey flavia yeah keep visiting my blog! hope you're doing well in brazil.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete