Sunday, July 15, 2012

IntUpp D/UppInt A: Phrasal Verb: PUT

to put s.t. on
1-Clothes  "I got up, took off my PJs and put on a pair of jeans."
2-Put s.t. on the surface of one's skin- e.g. Lotion, cream, make-up.
 "Put on some sunscreen before you go down to the beach!"
"How long do girls take to put make-up on?"
3- Music "Can you put on some dance music? I really feel like dancing"
4- Weight = to gain weight "After coming to Vancouver, I put on about 10 lbs."
5-A performance/show. "Lady Gaga really put on a great concert last night." 

to put s.t. off = to delay/postpone/procrastinate
"I always put off doing my homework until the last minute."


to put s.t. out =to extinguish a fire/cigarette
"Before we went to sleep, we put the campfire out."
"The firefighter put out the kitchen fire very quickly."

"You need to put out your cigarette because you can't smoke here." 


to put up with s.t./s.o  = to endure/tolerate/bear/stand an unpleasant person/situation
 "I couldn't put up with the noise from my neighbour's house anymore, so I called the police.
"How can you put up with him? He's super annoying!"
"Don't put up with his behaviour. Tell him to grow up!"


to put s.t. away
1.to put something in the place where it is usually kept
"He never put his toys away"
"Put away your books and take out a pen." 


2.to save money for a large expense = to save up
"We're putting away money to go to Hawaii next year."



to put s.o away- to put s.o in prison/jail (informal) 
"If he gets caught, the police are going to put him away."


to put s.o down
1- to criticize s.o to make them feel stupid or silly
"My boss always puts us down. It's horrible." 
"I hate it when people put other people down. It's not nice." 


2-to put a baby in their bed/to sleep
"When did you put the baby down?
"I just put her down for a nap." 


to put s.t. (an animal) down = to put s.t. to sleep
to kill an animal without causing it pain, usually because it is old or sick
"We had to put our dog down." 


to put s.o up-to let someone stay in your house and give them meals
"Can you put me up for a few days when I come into town?"
"I'm putting my sister up when she comes to visit me next month."

to put s.o under- if a doctor puts you under, they give you drugs to make you unconscious before surgery
"He was put under before his open heart surgery."

No comments:

Post a Comment