Sunday, July 29, 2012

IntUppD/ UppInt A: Phrasal Verb: CALL (me maybe)




 to call s.o back - to return a phone call, for example because they were not at home or busy when you phoned last time
"He's not here right now. Do you want to call back in an hour?" 

to call s.o up -to call/phone s.o.
"I'll call you up tomorrow and we'll set up a time to meet."

to call in

1-(sick) to phone work/school to tell them you are absent due to sickness.
"Jane just called in sick, so someone has to fill in for her."
 
2- to phone a radio or television show to give your opinion or to ask a question
"Over 2000 viewers called in to the station with complaints."

to call s.t. off - to decide that a planned event will not take place
"The wedding has been called off because the couple broke up."  
  
to call s.t. out -to say something loudly
"She called out my name."


to call s.o out on s.t.-to point out s.o.'s mistake/bad behaviour, to let s.o. know that you know about their bad behaviour and your negative opinion about this behaviour
"I thought I could get away with going to work late, but my boss finally called me out on it. "
"My mother called me out on lying to her."
"Jane's friends called her out on not breaking up with her cheating boyfriend."

No comments:

Post a Comment