Wednesday, August 1, 2012

UppInt A: Wishes/Regrets-Notes


WISHES/REGRETS

WISH + Simple Past/Past continuous/could/would – Wish for the present/future (want to change a situation)

-I wish I had more free time (don’t)
-I wish I could buy a car (I don’t have enough $)
-I wish it would stop raining in Vancouver
-I wish I were sleeping right now instead of learning grammar.
 
WISH + Past perfect (had + past participle) – regret about the past
I wish I hadn’t drunk so much last night = I regret drinking so much last night
I wish I had been able to go outside yesterday .

Mixed Conditional: If I hadn’t drunk so much last night, I wouldn’t have a hangover now. 

If only – strong wish or regret (emphasis) - often used without a result clause
If only I hadn’t drunk so much last night!
If only I had more money!

No comments:

Post a Comment