Monday, July 23, 2012

IntUpp D/ UppInt A: Phrasal Verb: FILL

to fill s.t out/in - to complete/write all the information on a document, form etc.
"Can you help me fill out this visa application?"
"If you want to apply for this position, you will need to fill this form in."

to fill s.t. up- to make full; to put as much as can be held in a container
"Where can I fill up my water bottle?"
"I need to fill up my car. Is there a gas station close by?"

to fill oneself up with/on s.t - to eat so much food that you can't eat any more.
"Don't fill yourself up on cookies, we eating dinner soon!"
"You'd better fill yourself up before we leave. We're not stopping for lunch."

to fill in for s.o- to substitute for s.o/ to do s.o's job for them because they are absent
"Because your teacher is sick today, I'm going to fill in for him."
"I'm injured and cannot play. Someone will have to fill in for me."

to fill s.o in on s.t.- to tell s.o about recent events, especially because they have been away from a place
"I missed 3 days of school, so could you fill me in on everything that happened?" 
"The boss wants you to fill him in before the meeting."

No comments:

Post a Comment