Wednesday, July 25, 2012

IntUpp D/UppInt A: Phrasal Verb: Fall

to fall behind- to go more slowly than other people so that they gradually move further ahead of you
"Hurry up, you're falling behind!" 
"Because I missed one whole week of school, I fell behind."  

to fall for s.o. - to start to love s.o  (to fall head over heels for s.o)
"When I first saw her, I fell for her."

to fall for s.t. -to be tricked into believing something that is not true:
"Don't fall for anything he says. He's a liar."
"I'm not going to fall for your tricks. I'm too smart."


to fall through- if an agreement, plan, sale etc falls through, it is not completed successfully
"At the last minute, our vacation plans fell through because my husband had to work." 

to fall out with s.o.- to have a fight with s.o
"We had a falling-out."
"We fell out with each other about 5 years ago."

to fall apart 
1-to break into pieces
"The book was so old  that when I picked it up, it fell apart."

2- if an organization, system, relationship etc falls apart, it stops being effective or successful
"I realized our relationship was slowly falling apart."
"If we don't come up with a plan soon, this company is going to fall apart."

3-world/life: if someone's world or life falls apart, something very bad and serious happens which changes their life
"When Maria broke up with me, my world fell apart."
"My life is falling apart!"

to fall back:  if soldiers fall back, they move back because they are being attacked = to retreat
"Fall back! We're being attacked!" 

to fall back into s.t.- to go back to doing something or behaving in a way which you did before
"He behaved well for a few weeks, but he fell back into his old habits." 


to fall back on s.o/s.t.- to use something or depend on someone's help when dealing with a difficult situation, especially after other methods have failed
"She really needs you. She has no one else to fall back on."
"Since my first plan failed, I have to fall back on plan B"


to fall off: if part of something falls off, it becomes separated from the main part
"One of my buttons fell off."
"This poster keeps falling off the wall. I need stronger tape."

No comments:

Post a Comment