Sunday, July 8, 2012

Phrasal Verb: LOOK

To look forward to s.t. = to be excited/happy about something happening in the future
"I'm really looking forward to the weekend."
"I'm not looking forward to next week's exam."
"I look forward to visiting my grandma."

To look up to s.o. = To admire/to respect s.o.
" I really look up to my father, he is really hard-working and he has taught me so much."
"President Obama is someone to look up to. He is really inspirational."

To look down on s.o.= to have a negative opinion about s.o./to think that you are better than s.o else
"Don't look down on teachers just because they are young"
"After all the bad things he did, people started to look down on him."


To look back to/on s.t. =  to think about s.t. that happened in the past/ to recall s.t.
"Looking back on my high school days, I don't regret anything"
"When I look back to my childhood, I have very fond memories."



To look ahead = to think about/plan for what might happen in the future
"I need to look ahead and plan my future."  


to look s.t up = to look for/search for information in a reference source (a place that has information, i.e. a dictionary, the Internet, an encyclopedia, a phone book)
"If you don't know the meaning of a word, please look it up." 
"Can you look up the address on the Internet?" 

to look up (intransitive) = to improve/to get better
"The situation is finally looking up." 


to look over s.t.= to review (esp. briefly), to examine
"Please look over your notes before the exam."
"I'll look over the meeting report after I get home."



to look into s.t.= to investigate, to examine, to find the truth about a problem, a crime
"The police are looking into the murder."
"Can you look into the problem?" 


to look after s.t/s.o = to take care of/ to be responsible for
"Can you look after my cat for two weeks?" 
"I have look after the house because my parents are on vacation." 

to look around = to look at what is in a place such as a building, shop, town etc, especially when you are walking 
"Let's stop and look around for a little bit." 

to look out for s.o. - to make sure s.o. is being treated fairly/well, to protect/defend//to pay attention to
"When I was growing up, my brother always looked out for me."  






No comments:

Post a Comment