Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Phrasal Verb: TAKE

What do a plane, saying goodbye, clothes and a business have in common?
They can all use the phrasal verb:  

TO TAKE (S.T) OFF

1- to take. s.t. (+ clothing) off (transitive): Used to talk about removing any article of clothing
"It's way too hot in here, I'm taking off my jacket."
"Please take off your shoes when you come inside!"

3. to take s.t. (+ time expression) off (transitive): Holiday from work
"I'm taking 2 weeks off and going to Hawaii." 
"I don't feel well, so I'm going to take the afternoon off."  

2- to take off (intransitive): used when a plane departs from a runway. opposite= to land
"The plane takes off at 3 tomorrow."
"When flying, do you prefer take-off or landing?"

3- to take off (intransitive): to become successful very quickly and suddenly, for example used with a career or business
"He only started his business last year and it has already taken off."
"In 2008, Lady Gaga's career really took off."

4- to take off (intransitive): to leave
"I'm taking off now, see ya!"
"He took off about 10 mins ago."

TO TAKE S.T OUT
 
1-to withdraw/get money from the bank/an ATM
"I have no cash left, I need to take some money out"

2-to borrow books from the library
"Last week, I took out 6 books from the library."
"The maximum number of books you can take out is 25."

3-to carry s.t. with you from inside to outside (e.g. remove the garbage from your house)
"Mom told us to take the garbage out."

4-In general, to remove an item from a place that can't be seen and bring it out to view where it can be seen
 "Please take your homework out."
"He took money out of his wallet."

5- to destroy (informal)
"The bomb took out half of the building."

TO TAKE S.T. OUT ON S.O: to treat someone badly when you are angry or upset, even though it is not their fault
"Don't take your anger out on me!"  
 
TO TAKE S.O OUT
1- to invite s.o. to go out
"I'm taking my parents out tonight for dinner."
"I took my girlfriend out to a concert last night."

2-to kill s.o. (informal)
"The police were ordered to take the man out."

TO TAKE S.T UP:

1-to become interested in a new activity/hobby and to spend time doing it:
"John took up golf, but he gave up pretty quickly." 

2- to continue a story or activity that you or someone else had begun, after a short break:
"We're out of time, so we'll take/pick this up again tomorrow."   Also: pick s.t. up

TO TAKE S.O UP ON S.T: to accept an invitation or suggestion
 "I'll take you up on that offer of a drink next week!" 

TO TAKE AFTER S.O: To look like or have the same behaviour/personality as an older relative
"She really takes after her mother, they have the same eyes and long blond hair."
"My son doesn't take after me at all. We don't share any of the same interests."

TO TAKE S.T. BACK:

1-to return something to the store for a refund
"I've changed my mind, I'm going to take this sweater back tomorrow." 

2- to admit that you were wrong to say something
"I'm so sorry, I take my comment back. I didn't mean it like that."

TO TAKE S.O BACK:  to forgive your ex-boy/girl friend and reconcile (get back together)
"Please James, take me back! I'm sooo sorry!"
"Don't take her back James, she cheated on you! Once a cheater, always a cheater!"

No comments:

Post a Comment