Thursday, July 5, 2012

UppInt A: Perfect Tenses

PERFECT TENSES  (SIMPLE + CONTINUOUS/PROGRESSIVE)

 USE: To talk about two points in time & their relationship to each other
A) linked to a later event                          B) finished by a certain time

PRESENT PERFECT (PAST+ PRESENT) (HAS/HAVE + P.P.) 

1. Started in the past + continues till now (unfinished) 
I have been living in Vancouver for 6 months.
I’ve known him since 1997.

2. Non-specific past (finished)
Have you ever been to a Korean restaurant?
She’s lived in over 7 countries.
       
 *Often used with never/ever for added emphasis.  I’ve never eaten dog before.
 *Do not use with a specific time e.g. yesterday/last week (use simple past)

3. Recent past has a result on the present (finished)
What have you done to your hair?
I’ve lost my passport.
Obama has been elected.

*Often used when reporting news to make news more EXCITING! RELEVANT! CURRENT!
*Often used with these words Just/already/yet:         I’ve just finished.
                                                                                   I’ve already finished.  
                                                                                  I haven’t spoken to her yet.

PAST PERFECT (PAST + PAST) (HAD + P.P.): completed before another action in the past 
*use only if it is important to compare/order events in the past

Sam had taken off when Ann got there.
Before coming to Vancouver, I had not heard of Stanley Park.
She wanted to go to the aquarium but we’d already been there.

*When before/after is used in a sentence, the past perfect is often not necessary because the time relationship is clear and simple past may be used

SAME:             After the guests had left, I went to bed.
After the guests left, I went to bed.

*Other grammar areas which use the past perfect structure
Reported speech: He told me he had eaten dinner already.
3rd Conditional (Unreal past): If I had known, I wouldn’t have gotten takeout.
           "Wish": (Regret) I wish I had gone to the party. 

FUTURE PERFECT (FUTURE+FUTURE)( WILL HAVE + P.P.) : Will be completed at a certain point in the future

*Use with By: By that time, by this time next week, by the end of 2013, By the end of the day etc.

By June, I will have graduated from university.
By the end of August, I will have been living in Vancouver for 2 months.

***FOR/SINCE: often used with perfect tenses 

I’ve been a university grad since 2010. (Emphasizes duration)
I’ve been a university grad for 2 years. (Emphasize beginning/start)

No comments:

Post a Comment