Wednesday, July 4, 2012

UppInt A: REMEMBER vs. REMIND

 

 REMEMBER + GERUND = You remember someone or something from a time in the past (memory)

I remember playing there when I was little.  
Hello, do you remember me? 


REMEMBER + INFINITIVE = You also remember information or things that you must do (obligation)

              
We must remember to close that window. 
Did you remember to lock the door?

 REMIND + S.O + INFINITIVE/ REMIND + S.O + THAT CLAUSE
 = You remind someone about something when you tell them to remember it

Remind me to call Kim tomorrow.  
Thomas reminded us that Dad was still waiting. 



 REMIND S.O OF S.O ELSE/S.T=  If something or someone reminds you of a person or thing, they make you think of them because they are similar  

Being on the farm reminded me of my childhood.  
She reminds me of my first girlfriend.!! 


REMIND ONESELF OF S.T = You can remind yourself of something, but you cannot remember yourself of something

 I reminded myself of my promise.
 He remembered his promise (NOT He remembered him/himself (of) his promise).

1 comment: