Monday, June 18, 2012

INT D: Expressions With GET

to get off work = to finish work for the day
"I get off work at 5pm every day."
 
to get home = to arrive at home
"When you get home, call me."


to get around to doing s.t. = to finally do s.t. after planning to do it for a long time
"I put off cleaning my room for 3 months and I finally got around to it."  

to get going =  said when you want to leave a place or start s.t.
"Let's get going!"

to get the feeling= to have a specific feeling
"I get the feeling that he doesn't like me."

to get through s.t.= to finish s.t. (most often s.t. difficult)
"I just need to get through this homework, then we can go out." 

to get s.t.= to understand s.t.
"I don't get this question."

to get to know s.o. - the process of becomign friends with s.o., finding out more about them
"He might seem shy at first. But once you get to know him, he is very open and friendly."

to get used to s.t.= to become comfortable with s.t. because you've been doing it for a while
"After living in Vancouver for 3 months, I've gotten used to the rain and speaking English every day."

to get away with s.t. = to do s.t. bad/inappropriate and not receive the punishment for it
"The students got away with cheating on the test."

to get out of doing s.t.= to avoid doing s.t. that you are responsible for
"I told my mom I had so much homework, so I got out of doing my chores."

to get over s.t. = to overcome/ recover from s.t.
"I really want to get over my fear of heights."
"I caught a cold two weeks ago and I just got over it."

to get ready for s.t. = to prepare to do s.t.
"Before I go out,  it usually takes me an hour to get ready."

Other Phrasal Verbs with GET:
http://jetlag-english.blogspot.ca/2012/05/phrasal-verb-get-2.html
http://jetlag-english.blogspot.ca/2012/05/phrasal-verb-get.html

No comments:

Post a Comment