Sunday, June 17, 2012

Phrasal Verb: MAKE

to make out with s.o. -to kiss passionately (lasting a period of time)
"In my country, making out in public is rude."
"Sara made out with John at the party."

to make s.t. out to s.o - to write a cheque to s.o.
"Please make the cheque out to John Smith." 

to make s.t. up- to pretend s.t is true in order to trick/deceive s.o.
"He made up so many excuses."
"He had to make up a lie to tell his mom."
"I don't believe it. You're making this story up!"

to make up with s.o.- to reconcile with s.o./ to become friendly again after an argument/fight
"Have you made up with your girlfriend yet?"
"Sara and Jake had a huge fight and didn't speak to each other for 3 weeks. They finally made up yesterday."

to make up for s.t. 
to make it up to s.o. -to do something to show that you are sorry for doing something wrong
"Jane, I'm so sorry I forgot our anniversary, I will make it up to you. I promise."
"I'm sorry for being late. I'll make up for it by buying you coffee."

to make s.t. up: to work at a time when you don't normally work because you have not done as much work as you shove have (to compensate for lost time/work)
"I missed the exam, but I will make it up next week."
"Can I make up the work next week?"

Expression with MAKE:


to make it/ to be able to make it- to be able to go to a meeting or event that has been arranged
"Sorry, I won't be able to make it to your party."
"We're having dinner next week, can you make it?"

to make the most of s.t. - to take advantage of a situation as much as possible
"If it's sunny in Vancouver, you have to make the most of it."
"When you are living in a foreign country, you need to make the most of your time."

No comments:

Post a Comment